Saturday, December 8, 2018

Bulletin 327 - South Africa #4 - Part 2 - Miscellaneous Songbirds, dogs and a small cat.

Continued from part 1

The batises are a small (31 species) of small cute African birds. There are 5 species in southern Africa and I saw 3 of them. The 5" male Cape Batis (Batis capensis) is IDed by black breast and rufous flanks.


Cape Batis - male
The male 4" Woodward's Batis (Batis fratrum) has a rufous rather than black breast.


Woodward's Batis
Lastly, the 5" male Chinspot Batis (Batis molitor) lacks any rufous coloration. The female of the species has a rufous chin spot and gives the species its name.


Chinspot Batis - male
The oriole family in the Old World are yellow birds with some black. I am sure our New World orioles were named after them, although in an entirely different family. I saw my first member of this family on the trip. The 9" male Black-headed Oriole (Oriolus larvatus) is yellow with a black head, some black on the wings and a red bill.


Black-headed Oriole - male
The drongos are another small (26 species) of birds in Africa and the Orient. Most are glossy black and some have unique shaped long tails. I have seen some of them before, but I photographed them for the first time on this trip. My guide said that they are very aggressive birds and will even try to drive away eagles. The sexes are similar.

The 7.5" Square-tailed Drongo (Dicrurus ludwigii) is IDed by black and only a slight notch in the tail. 


Square-tailed Drongo
The 10" Fork-tailed Drongo (Dicrurus adsimilis) is larger and has a longer tail. It has a deep fork.


Fork-tailed Drongo
We saw 2 species of canines on the trip. The more common one is the Black-backed Jackal (Canis mesomelas). This dog has large ears, a very pointed muzzle, and is fawn color with a black back. The size is up to 25 pounds.


Black-backed Jackal
The rarer one is the Wild Dog (Lycaon pictus). These are medium sized dogs (up to 65 pounds) with long legs, and unique black, brown and white coloration. I am sure you have seen these on TV. The guide said that I would be lucky to see them in Kruger National Park where we spent 3 days. This huge park is about 2/3 the size of the state of New Jersey, This is an endangered species, and in Kruger there are an estimated 450 - 500 animals. They hunt in packs of 10 or more, so maybe 40 packs in the whole park. So even their web site says need luck. Haha I have my amazing luck and we saw a pack on the sundown drive one day, and the next day driving on our own, 3 adults and 10 pups were on the road. The pups were playing and jumping on each other as they do. This was one the most memorable experiences of the trip.


Wild Dog - pup




And another.


Wild Dog - pup
And another..you can see car stopped as everyone enjoyed this amazing sighting of 13 Wild Dogs in daylight.


Wild Dog - pup
There are only 39 species of cats, including the domestic cat. I was hoping to see 3 of them on the trip, and I did, but one was unexpected. In fact I did not even know about the Southern African Wildcat (Felis sylvestris). They may be same species as the domestic cat but latest info I can find online suggests now different. They are likely the source for the domestic cat being tamed 10k years ago. At one camp, the guide saw a pair of eyes in the bushes as we walked around before lunch. He said there is an African Wildcat in the bushes. Look at the eyes. I thought he was joking. Well yes I could see the eyes. I am not good at manual focus but had to try. Since my cataracts fixed last year, low and behold, I got a pic. They are the same size as our pets and unfortunately will breed with them. Fortunately Kruger does not allow pets in the park, so these are pure genetic wildcats.


Southern African Wildcat - Kruger National Park
And another you can see his body, legs and tail.


Southern African Wildcat - Kruger National Park
I have put the different bird/mammal families in single folders for easy viewing

I have photos of 6 of the 34 
species of shrikes

I have photos of 3 of the 92 species of cuckooshrikes

I have photos of 7 of the 98 species of larks

I have photos of 5 of the 40 species of dogs

I have photos of 5 of the 39 species of cats

Happy birding and photography,

David McDonald
dkmmdpa@gmail.com

photos copyright 2006 - 2018 David McDonald

To have these trip reports sent to your email, please email me at the above address and ask to subscribe.


No comments: