Sunday, November 7, 2021

Bulletin 388 - Colombia 2021 #5 - Shorebirds, Cuckoos

I finally made it back to Colombia for my second visit and again used the guide services of Pablo Florez. I went with my friend Martin Jackson. We visited Inirida on the Orinoco, Santa Marta of course, Guajira Peninsula on the Caribbean coast, and a couple of National Parks around Bogota.

I finally found my target plover in northern Latin America. I have had multiple trips and never even saw this common bird, let alone get a photo. The 6" Collared Plover (Charadius collaris) is similar to our small plovers, but ours all have a white nape. This one has a rufous nape of the neck to distinguish it, as many of ours are migrants to South America. I finally saw it on the coast where we saw the flamingos - just 1 bird but enough to check it off! I spent 20 minutes trying to make sure I got an identifiable photo of this bird.


Collared Plover

The other plover was the beautiful 14" Southern Lapwing (Vanellus chilensis). I had photographed this bird previously, but lapwings are beautiful long legged plovers and I enjoy seeing them.

Southern Lapwing

Another small family of shorebirds is the thick-knees. This family of 10 species has 2 in the Americas. I had a distant photo of this bird before, but improved with several in a field along the road. The 18" Double-striped Thick-knee (Burhinus bistriatus) is the only thick-knee in this area. 

Double-striped Thick-knee

Jacanas are another small family of shorebirds with 2 in the New World. The 9" Wattled Jacana (Jacana jacana) is the southern one. We were able to get very close, in the boat, to a bird walking on the floating weeds. It is has rufous wings and back with a black head, neck and breast and red wattles. It is an easy ID.

Wattled Jacana

I photographed 3 cuckoos on the trip, 2 of which were lifers for me. The 18" Greater Ani (Crotophaga major) is an all black bird with a long tail and large bill.

Greater Ani

The 2 new ones were the 11" Dark-billed Cuckoo (Coccygus melacoryphus). It is similar to our Black-billed Cuckoo, but it has a tawny breast.

Dark-billed Cuckoo

The other lifer was the 11" Little Cuckoo (Coccycua minuta). This is a small rufous cuckoo with a yellow bill.

Little Cuckoo

I put the different bird/mammal families in single folders for easy viewing

I have photos of 30 of the 67 species of Plovers and Lapwings

I have photos of 3 of the 10 species of Thick-knees

I have photos of 5 of the 8 species of Jacanas

I have photos of 25 of the 148 species of Cuckoos

Happy birding and photography,

David McDonald

dkmmdpa@gmail.com

photos copyright 2006 - 2021 David McDonald

To have these trip reports sent to your email, please email me at the above address and ask to subscribe.

No comments: