Saturday, May 21, 2011

LaFitte's Cove Bird Report 5-21-11

David McDonald Photography
Friendswood TX
5-21-11

It was overcast on Galveston Island today. I checked out LaFitte's Cove to see if any very late migrants were still passing through.

The pond across from the main parking lot had 9 Mottled Ducks, 1 Blue-winged Teal and 5 peeps (?semi-palmated) but I wasn't sure.

In the woods, I found only 2 migrants, a Scarlet Tanager and a Thrush.

The most unusual sighting was a Purple Gallinule in the pond to the right beyond the gazebo. This is a first for me at LaFitte's Cove and I would expect them to be breeding at this time. I'll have to watch in the coming weeks to see if I can refind the bird and perhaps some chicks.

Here are 2 photos of the peeps. Any ID help would be appreciated




The Purple Gallinule.


(c) 2011 David McDonald

No comments: