Friday, April 22, 2011

LaFitte's Cove Bird Report 4-22-11

David McDonald Photography
Friendswood Texas

I went to LaFitte's Cove in Galveston in the morning from 9-11:30am and again in late afternoon from 5-6:30pm. The weather was overcast with occasional sun and calm to south winds.

There were few birders and few birds.

A total of 6 warbler species were seen - Tennessee, Nashville, Orange-crowned, Yellow, B&W, and Blackpoll. The most surprising to me was the 3 Blackpoll seen this evening. I have never seen 3 of this species in the spring. In fact, it was the only warbler that came to the drip, that I saw.

Other birds were Bronzed Cowbird, both Orioles, both Buntings, both Tanagers, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Gray Catbird, Brown Thrasher, White-eyed Vireo and Eastern Kingbird.

The ponds had numerous shorebirds and waders. The sandpipiers were Least, Solitary, LB Dowitcher, and both Yellowlegs.

I'm sure that the woods will be full of birders on the weekend. I hope that the birds are there as well.

David McDonald
(C) David McDonald 2011

No comments: