Sunday, September 9, 2018

Bulletin 315 - Guatemala 2018 #1 - Parrots, waders and others

I went for a third visit to Guatemala in May. Once again, I used the wonderful local guide Knut Eisermann of Cayaya Birding. On this visit, we went to new locations to get new species.

The 13" Buffy-crowned Wood Partridge (Dendrortyx leucophrys) was a treat as quail are so difficult to see and photograph. We also saw Singing Quail, but I was not able to get a photo.


Buffy-crowned Wood Partridge
Another target bird was the last of the cracids in Guatemala, the 24" Highland Guan (Penelopina nigra). It is a large black guan with red bill, throat patch and legs


Highland Guan
 The 38" male Ocellated Turkey (Meleagris ocellata) is a beautiful bird and the same genus as our turkey.


Ocellated Turkey - male
A pair of juvenile 20" Boat-billed Herons (Cochlearius cochlearius) were practically at arms length away. They are an easy ID with the massive bill.


Boat-billed Heron - juvenile
Another wader was the 24" Limpkin (Aramus guarauna). This is a brown bird with white spots and a long bill. It is its own family. I had photographed it years ago in Florida where is the only place to find it in the USA. This was second time to get pics.


Limpkin

They eat snails and he has a snail in his beak.


Limpkin
I also got a couple of new parrot species. The 9" Olive-throated Parakeet (Eupsittula nana) is green with an olive throat and chest.


Olive-throated Parakeet
The 13.5" Red-lored Amazon (Amazona autumnalis) is a green parrot with red in front of the eyes and yellow cheek.


Red-lored Amazon
Red-lored Amazon
The 16" Northern Mealy Amazon (Amazona guatemalae) was high in the treetops in afternoon sunlight.


Northern Mealy Amazon

I have put the different bird families in single folders for easy viewing

I have photos of 9 of the 34 species of new world quail


I have photos of 16 of the 58 species of guans, chachalacas, currasows

I have photos of 12 of the 180 species of pheasants, grouse. turkeys


I have photos of 25 of the 66 species of herons

I have photos of 37 of the 174 species of new world parrots


Happy birding and photography,


David McDonald

dkmmdpa@gmail.com

photos copyright 2006 - 2018 David McDonald

To have these trip reports sent to your email, please email me at the above address and ask to subscribe.

No comments: